>> Buy or Learn more about our Bottled Water Products
Bottled water makes for a huge industry all over the world. Developed countries that although have a stringent public water distribution system governed by federal authorities have a greater affinity to bottled water than tap water from the municipalities and state run bodies. Under developed
countries are more inclined to drink tap water and do not have a penchant for bottled water as much as in the developed world. However, that equation is changing with a growing demand for bottled water almost all around the world.
A key factor that has contributed to the growth of bottled water is the availability of safe drinking water irrespective of which part of the country one is in. As long as there is a retail store selling convenience and day to day essentials, bottled water is available for consumers unlike tap water which may not be a viable solution for long road trips and the likes.
Bottled Water Facts
Here are some interesting bottled water facts that should be fascinating to discover.
- More than 53 billion gallons of bottled water is consumed globally in a year.
- The United States alone consumes more than 8.6 billion gallons of bottled water in a year.
- Revenue generated from selling bottled water all around the world is more than $ 61 billion (estimated).
- More than 17 million barrels of oil is used to produce bottled water yearly.
- The amount of oil used can fuel more than a million cars and run them for a year.
- Although bottles selling bottled water are considered to be recyclable, in reality only 1 in 5 bottles are eventually recycled.
- The non recycled bottles make for 3 billion pounds of plastic waste.
- To produce the bottle, it takes thrice the amount of water that would eventually fill up the bottle.
Bottled Water Vs Tap Water
There have always been extensive debates on bottled water vs. tap water. There have been several studies, surveys and various inspections by federal authorities to determine if bottled water is better than tap water. Here are some facts about bottled water vs. tap water.
- Bottled water costs $10 per gallon while tap water costs $0.0015 per gallon.
- More than 40% of bottled water are sourced from tap water and further treated and sold.
- Bottled water is not tested for e.coli unlike tap water.
- Bottled water may not site sources unlike tap water.
- Bottled water may fail to meet the safety standards of tap water and yet be sold to consumers.